The views and comments expressed within this blog in no way represent those of
the Peace Corps or the US government, yadda yadda yadda... legal disclaimer


Monday, September 27, 2010

On the 141st day, Fay said “Let there be light…”

…and then there was light, and it was good!

(Note: post written on September 15, 2010)

I got solar! It’s nothing fancy, but it does take (some of) the edge off at night. In fact it is quite a small system: 5W panel (measuring about 1’x1’), which charges a 12V 5Ah battery, and can be connected to four separate LED lights as well as a phone charger. Although the light is great, if I am to be honest with you, there is another, more influential motivator for purchasing this system: MUSIC! If you have ever lived with me, visited me, or even know who I am, you probably know that music is a BIG part of my life. Although I can not even best Mr. William Clinton on the alto sax, I can listen to music like none other! The only electronics equipment I brought to Uganda (besides my wrist watch, which coincidentally also has built-in mini solar arrays for charging) is my Zune, an Mp3 player. I used to bike 13km to Soroti town just to charge my Zune, but not any more! Thanks to my new solar kit (and a few nifty adapters) I can convert the all-too plentiful sunrays baking Gweri everyday into juice for my Zune; it is literally music to my ears!

Another little groovy gadget I recently acquired (about a month ago from a PCV returning from the states) is the X-mini “sound beyond size”. Basically it’s a very small battery-powered speaker that still manages to put out surprisingly good sound quality. The best part: it's rechargeable via a USB cable, just like my Zune! No more earbud headphones, which are extremely uncomfortable to fall asleep with and have forced down your ear canal while tossing in your sleep, subconsciously fighting off those pesky mosquitoes. So even though I am currently using one of the lights supplied with the solar kit, as well as charging my cell phone about once a week, the dominant energy zapper is my “sound system”. We all need something to keep us grounded and sane while abroad, and one of mine happens to be music. (I feel this is also helping keep my neighbors sane as they no longer see a headlamp floating around my residence, “dancing” to inaudible noise, but rather just a tall goofy white guy jumping spastically to-and-fro while strange music blares from a tennis-ball sized object) I’m happy.

After talking to my parents this morning (they hadn’t heard my voice for about seven months), I realized that I hadn’t painted a correct image of my living conditions to those of you back in the states. The romanticized jungle/bush life that many initially imagine when they hear Africa (including myself) is far from accurate. For example, I do not have to dig a hole and bury my “business”, as someone once asked me. I would compare my living situation to long-term cabin camping. I have my own three-room house, made of cement with tin roofs (bring it on Big Bad Wolf!). Averaging around 10ft by 12ft each, the three rooms are used accordingly: one is my bedroom, one my kitchen, and the last... ummm... I guess it can be called my “dirt and lizard-feces collecting room”. In my “backyard”, I have two small cement sheds: one stores my tools and beast of a bicycle, while I bathe in the other. Lastly, even further into the backyard is my pit latrine. I’ll spare you the details of this last one, but if you ever think about visiting, be forewarned that I share it with others of the non-humanoid type. Example: taking care of my “business” at night can be dangerous for my leather-winged latrine-mate, who likes to flap up between your legs and say hi while you’re “assuming the gargoyle”; very unprofessional of him if you ask me. (If you are confused by all the terms in quotes, they are used in an attempt to keep this blog G-rated for the younger readers out there) I also have a one acre garden, which has produced more headaches than results though, and is actively being destroyed by weeds and neighbors' animals simultaneously. Light (prior to this solar system purchase) was provided via a small rechargeable reading lamp (also solar powered) or a kerosene lantern. Water is fetched 40 liters at a time (via two 20L jerry-cans) from a borehole no more than a couple hundred yards from my house. All in all, it’s not a bad setup and has even begun to feel like home, somehow. New house and yard remodels/additions are currently being discussed, but the homeowner(me), contractor(me), workers(me), etc are not cooperating at the moment, and delays are expected. I’ll keep you posted.

Of course, if you can’t bear to wait, you are all most welcome to visit anytime and learn the true secrets about living in a Ugandan village (ie the correct technique for how to slap-shot a frog out of your house). Enticed?

Future posts to look forward to:
-"Grabbing the Cow by the Horns"
-Common Ugandan phrases that might make you say "Whaaaat???"
-Revelations and poem(s) written by yours truly while daydreaming during mind-numbing meetings/workshops...

3 comments:

  1. 1 acre garden!!!! massive! with all this solar energy, ya think you'll have a moment to charge up that camera? i love your posts mate .. xoxox T

    ReplyDelete
  2. rad bud, what kind of stuff are you attempting to grow in that beast of a garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bub -- Good to see that you are doing well and now have your love of music to keep you sane (I guess you got that gene from me!) Was good to hear your voice on Sept 14th, thanks for calling. Any pictures coming??? Going to Pismo starting Oct 2 (1st time w/o MW - bummer)Keep up the great blogs; believe it or not, you are an excellent writer. Dad

    ReplyDelete